Sunday, June 24, 2012

Ribbon Jell-o

Okay, so to get things started we'll start off with something really impressive to hopefully keep you coming back to visit my blog.  My dream is that some day I'll have a button at the side of my blog like all those other famous blogging women that says "I was featured on________" (fill in the blank with a TV show or podcast or whatever).  Actually, I'd settle for ending up on Pinterest because that's so flattering to be on there when someone thinks your stuff is worthy of being pinned.


Isn't that so pretty?!  It looks so impressive, but it's really very easy (isn't that always the best!). I just had a friend ask for the recipe last night and it got me to thinking that I should post it here too.  So without further adieu :  Ribbon Jell-o!

I used seven flavors of Jell-o (the approx 3 oz size) and a pint of sour cream. You can use however many you want for any size container (big or small bowl or pan or bundt pan, etc).  I started by clearing a space in the freezer and putting a big writing tablet on it since the freezer usually has either a wire shelf or ridges on the bottom - you need it flat. I used a bundt pan for mine, but the original recipe from my cookbook just used a big Pyrex bowl. Use a timer so that each layer is getting the exact same amount of time in the freezer. Plan on making this the day before so you'll have plenty of time for it to set up well (overnight is best).

Add 1 cup boiling water to 1 package of Jell-o in a small bowl (I used another Pyrex one); stir to dissolve. Pour half the Jell-o into the bundt pan and put in freezer for approx. 14 minutes (until just barely set and still sticky enough to "glue" it to the next layer).  

At the same time, set the bowl with the other half into a bowl of ice to get it to thicken up like syrup.  When thickened add a heaping tablespoon of sour cream and whisk until well blended (I have a whisk attachment for my hand mixer which worked better than anything else).  Take the Jell-o out of the freezer and pour this over the first layer of Jell-o and return to freezer for another approx 14 mins.  Repeat with the other flavors. 



When done with all layers, put in FRIDGE, not freezer, to finish setting up with plastic wrap on top to prevent hardening of topmost layer. Let it sit for a good 8 hours or overnight to be well set before dipping pan in hot water for a few seconds to loosen the Jell-o and turning out onto a plate to serve it.

This will win you rave reviews at any event with friends or family. It's easy (though time-consuming) but looks oh so impressive.  



No comments:

Post a Comment